Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Math Block Routine: Whole Group, Small Group, Math Stations, and Anchor Activities!

Whole Group Math Lesson
  First, I introduce our learning target for the day and then start teaching my whole group lesson.  I usually teach our whole group lesson using a Flipchart on the Promethean Board or model using manipulatives on my Elmo.  After modeling, I have my students participate in guided practice where they practice the skill using their white boards and dry erase markers as they are sitting on the carpet or at their tables.  
 
By having each student using white boards to record their answers, I know that everyone is engaged in the lesson and I can easily check for individual student mastery.  After my students demonstrate mastery of the learning target, they then complete their independent practice.  

Guided Math Small Group
 While students are completing their independent practice, I call up a math group to work at my table with me.  We do a variety of activities during this time.  Sometimes we play a math game that reinforces the skill they just learned.  
 
Other times, we practice solving a math task so I can guided them through the process or get a closer look at how they are solving the problem.  
 
No matter what activity we do in small groups, it allows me to work closer with my students to clear up any confusion or misconceptions they may have.  It also allows for more conversations to take place so they can explain their mathematical thinking to each other.    
  I love using my Math Pocket Chart Signs to help me organize my guided math groups and math station rotations.  I have four math groups so I have four math stations that the students must complete each week.  Each group goes to one station each day.

Math Stations
 I bought these colorful baskets for only $1 at the Dollar Tree.
I like to use math stations with math talk cards so students are able to practice using the math vocabulary they learned about with their partner.  
Many of my math stations are differentiated so they meet all of my students individual needs.  
I also have some favorite games that I got from Lakeshore Learning.  
I love using math games to help students practice math in a fun way!

I also love their interactive whiteboard games!  My students cheer every time they get to play one of these.  These games are also great to play at the end of the day.

Math Anchor Activities
  Once they complete their independent practice and math station for that day, they can complete an anchor activity.  I have four different colored boxes (I bought them last year from Target) labeled with my 4 reading groups so they know which anchor activities to complete.  Each basket contains extension activities to extend their learning.  I use a variety of anchor activities, but my favorite ones to use are called Activity Cards for Early Finishers from TheMailbox.com.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you have your math stations organized by colors. It looks like it is very helpful. I found your blog through the classroom linky and am happy to report I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog if you get a chance. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read more post.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete